Senior VDC Designer
DATE POSTED: May 7th, 2021
ONSITE3D, headquartered in Calgary, focuses on providing the most technically capable workflow and fastest possible turn-around time from laser scan-survey to fabricated/installed equipment for the Canadian Oil and Gas/Petrochemical industry. ONSITE3D’s mission is to apply world class leading technology into conventional workflows by partnering and training highly skilled labour. Injecting the technology strategically into the industry to complete projects safer, with higher quality, increased efficiency, and more cost effective.
The Senior VDC Designer prepares and maintains detailed design drawings, schematics or specifications typically using computer-aided design software. They will work closely with design originators (e.g., engineers, designers) to resolve design details or discrepancies or to prepare drawings which require a high degree of precision using computer-aided drafting (CAD) or computer-aided engineering (CAE) equipment. The VDC Designer creates, modifies and controls detailed two- and three-dimensional parts and assembly drawings from engineers’ and technicians’ sketches, plans and written and verbal instructions, and develops and maintains drafting standards and procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Generates construction and fabrication drawings for manufacturing using CADD and AutoCAD systems for a variety of large complex commercial and industrial construction projects.
- Provides input on long-range planning trade coordination in terms of capabilities, manpower, budgets and objectives.
- Delivers onsite support for field personnel, when needed, and interfaces with other team leaders, the group managers, project managers, the shop fabrication managers and field supervisors. Coordinates overall schedules, including BIM logs, with department managers, project managers, shop supervision and field supervision.
- Reviews engineering and contractual documents and coordinates the architectural and structural documents with other members of the project team to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews equipment submittal documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinates draft construction drawings with other trades to ensure routings and clearances are understood and no obstructions exist.
- Provides input on department strategies, goals and objectives.
- Makes final checks and reviews trade drawings prior to fabrication release.
- Provides completed and complex construction drawings to the shop for parts manufacturing and to job site management to use in the construction and installation of material and equipment.
- Reviews work from coordinators assigned to the project for timely completion and drawing quality.
- Monitors work in progress and reviews completed work to ensure compliance with department standards and ensures a high standard of drawing quality.
- Serves as technical subject matter expert.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced staff within their respective trade to ensure that they understand how to go about the completion of the research and layout work necessary to complete fabrication or installation drawings. Ensures the team is updated and using the current contract documents and models.
- Reviews contractual documents and construction drawings for apparent conflicts with architectural and structural documents and ensures compliance with local code requirements.
- Identifies each of the issues that surfaces during the review, and brings it to the attention of the project management for clarification and resolution through the Request For Information (RFI) process.
- Manages document control during the detailing process and interprets various discrepancies and conflicts within the contractual documents.
- Approves Requests for Information (RFI’s) and provides input for Coordination Change Orders (CCO’s) for delivery to project managers.
- Monitors cost and schedule throughout the project in order to keep the coordination effort as closely aligned with the project estimate as possible.
- Advises appropriate project management staff of any potential overruns including work required or requested for the project which is outside of the baseline scope of work.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant BIM/VDC experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Construction Science or related field is preferred.
- Should have basic understanding of current design software such as AutoDesk, Revit, Stratus, & Navisworks.
- Working knowledge of drawing production and standard construction techniques and principles.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, delegate and control the work process.
Compensation and Benefits
OS3D offers a highly competitive salary and incentives package for high performing employees. Benefits available after 90 days.